Curriculum Challenge 1.5
- Write a program that asks the user for 2 numbers and what calculation to perform (+, -, / or *), then uses a different subroutine to do the required calculation.
- Get the user to enter a word and use the Dictionary method to get its definition.
Create a subroutine to check if it can be used as a noun, and if it is, use a second subroutine to get and print the first noun definition.
Small Challenge 1
Write a program that outputs a multiplication table, using an input multiplier and maximum to multiply it by.
For example multiplier 7 and maximum 12.
- 1 x 7 = 7
- 2 x 7 = 14
- 11 x 7 = 77
- 12 * 7 = 84
Small Challenge 2
It is useful to be able quickly do approximate maths in your head.
To help, write a program that shows approximate (to the nearest integer) divisors of 100.
- 100/7 ~ 14
- 100/17 ~ 6
Write a program to calculate the area of regular polygons (equal side lengths and equal internal angles).
The first is an equilateral triangle, the second a square, etc.
The user enters the number of sides and their length.
For large number of sides, the area should approximate that of a circle.
Write a repro of the Tron game, Google for it, here is a simple scratch version.
Calculate the time for a satellite to orbit the Earth at different altitudes.
What altitude is a geostationary orbit (orbits in 24 hours).
G*M*m/r/r = m*v*v/r
- G is gravitational constant 6.67384 E-11 m3 kg-1 s-2
- M is the Earth mass 5.972 E24 kg
- m is the satellite mass (orbit doesn’t depend on this)
- v is the satellite velocity (m/s)
- r is the satellite distance from the Earth center
The Earth radius is 6371 km
Community Challenge 1
- Write ASCII code table.
- Make any kind of roulette (wheel).
Community Challenge 2
(By Jibba Jabba)
When people register on a theatre website, the email address is used as the login name and the user is requested to enter a password to use with the account.
A user’s details include: email address, password, first name, surname and address.
These are stored in a csv file.
When a user logs in, they enter their email address and must enter their password before accessing their account details.
Code a program which:
- asks for an email address and password
- searches the file for the email address
- if the password is correct it displays the customer details
- it displays a suitable error message if the password is incorrect.